This dessert goes very well with 70 degree weather. That's why we made it for two special occasions over the weekend.
1/2 c sugar
1 T cornstarch
3-4 c blueberries (or any other type of berry)
1 1/2 t lemon zest plus 1 T juice
Biscuit topping ingredients:
1 c flour
1/4 c plus 2 t sugar
2 T cornmeal
2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/3 c buttermilk (or milk)
4 T butter, melted
1/2 t vanilla
1/8 t cinnamon
For the filling:
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Whisk sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt together in large bowl.
3. Add berries and mix gently until evenly coated; add lemon zest and juice and mix to combine.
4. Transfer berry mixture to a dutch oven and spread evenly. Bake until filling is hot and bubbling around edges, about 25 minutes.
For the biscuit topping:
1. Whisk flour, 1/4 c sugar, cornmeal, baking power, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
2. Whisk milk, melted butter, and vanilla together in small bowl.
3. In another small bowl, combine remaining 2 t sugar with cinnamon.
4. One minute before berries comes out of oven, add wet ingredients to dry and stir.
To assemble and bake:
1. Remove berries from the oven.
2. Preheat oven to 425.
3. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and place them on hot filling, spacing them at least 1/2 inch apart.
4. Sprinkle each mound evenly with cinnamon sugar. Bake until filling is bubbling and biscuits are golden brown on top and cooked through, 15-18 minutes.